Wednesday 27 January 2010

Long Cold Winter

As many of us are still sat huddled up on the sofa watching sailing clips on you tube or planning the winter re-fit and wondering whether it will be warm enough to venture back out on to the water in May there is a hard core boating fraternaty who are out there doing their thing all year round, whether it be the dingy racers crossing the icy threshhold of the local lake or powerboaters defrosting decks it's testimount to how much we enjoy being out there.

Generally we are pretty lucky in our choice of past time in this country that there are plenty of places to partake in our chosen sport (living on an island does help) but also if we are keen enough we can sail/powerboat when ever we like. Being a keen skier myself I always wait with such eager anticipation the arrival of the winter and the chance to fly off somewhere cold and snowy for a week to hurl my self down the side of a mountain and then spend the rest of the year wishing I could do it more often. which makes me think why am i so reluctant to hit the water with such enthusiasm during the winter months? Too cold can not be use as an excuse after the afore mentioned skiing obsession and modern clothing available. I think it might simply be that we talk our selves out of it, give the boat a rest may be?

Not sure quite where i'm going with this other than to say well done to those of you who stick with it over the winter months and I don't blame you to those who take up sofa sailing until the summer. Maybe I need to get back out there, after all some of the best sailing days I have had have been in the winter months when the sun is shining and the water is nice and quiet and free of the (how to put this nicely) less experienced water users that some times might do things that we don't agree with.

Wether you prefer to do your boating in shorts and t-shirt or in the snow as long as you enjoy it I gues that is all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment